Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Waterways

Although Toronto lies on the shores of a Great Lake, it doesn't have a very strong maritime feel. In fact, decades of apathy and political infighting have left the waterfront a mess of industrial wasteland or concrete jungle, which may someday require a Big Dig to remedy. One need only go to Chicago to see how it should be done. The one saving grace is Toronto Island.


Chicago Skyline



I find a certain appeal in cities on rivers or the ocean. Perhaps because I never grew up with long ferry rides or driving along bridges and causeways that are miles long. I did live in The Beach neighbourhood, but for most of my childhood, entering the water was at your own risk.

When I was in Tampa, there were jetski rentals at the edge of my hotel parking lot. I could see powerboats go back and forth from my window. Even if I had brought appropriate beachwear, I think I'd still prefer a nice tourist cruise on a river.


Welcome to De Swamp - AAAIIIEEEEEE!!!



There are many creeks and streams in the Toronto area, but no majestic rivers you can sail down. Nothing which cuts through the downtown core, with many grand bridges across it. Unless you include the hidden and often forgotten Taddle Creek.


Three Rivers



Even Pittsburgh, a city crawling out of economic recession, is making a good run at waterfront re-development. But nothing compares to the rivers and canals of Europe.


Copenhagen, Denmark



A great way to quickly see the sights, and highly recommended if you're pressed for time.


View from the Riksbron - Stockholm, Sweden



The old architecture and palaces along the water only add to the mystique. The ABBA soundtrack on the English narration (for the benefit of the tourists) does not.


Stockholm is situated on 14 islands - AAAIIIEEEEEE!!!



My favorite estuarine city though, still has to be London.


Tower Bridge



So much history, and so many bridges across the Thames, including the initially-wobbly Millenium Bridge.


...is falling down



Engineering marvels for their age.


Passing through

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home