Sunday, April 29, 2007

On the Road Again

With just one day back home to rest and do laundry, it's back to the airport again. This morning's visit to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services went very smoothly - courteous, welcoming, even friendly. My work visa was renewed one final time, for two more years.

I seriously wonder if I can last that much longer. When I first started university, I never imagined that globalisation would create a job for me where the world (well, North America mostly) is the "play" ground. An acquaintance of mine is heading off on her own two year adventure this very evening.

Today's flight is to a destination better known for sun than software. That means tourists, and children. Later this month, I'll be travelling with a couple of friends and their one year old son, on his first airplane flight. I'm sure he'll do fine, but if not, I know his parents will have done their best, going above and beyond, and I'll forgive them all. In one sense, I'm envious - I was 12 before I got on a plane which actually left the ground. Until three years ago, air travel remained a special occasion, which only came every few years, totalling no more than 30 flights in all. I suppose I've been making up for that with my present job, with 134 segments (including this one) and counting.

One interesting note for the gender and employment statistics - I think this is the first flight I've taken where all the flight attendants (four) are male. I can only recall one where the captain was female, and that was on an American airline. In the convoluted system of unions and seniority lists, and airline bankruptcies, spinoffs, and mergers which govern Air Canada, I've only seen/heard a couple of female first officers.

The family sitting behind me have a young son and daughter, who are obviously excited to be heading to Florida, and both feel the need to loudly comment on every single thing that happens. Their bribe for a moment's silence: a sugar-laden lollipop. The other woman sitting in my row looks up from her book, and we exchange a knowing glance, and wan smile of chagrin. The kicking of the seat has just started...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home