Saturday, April 08, 2006

A night on the town

It was nice to share a meal with a friend in a foreign country (the fish and chips were OK, but not the best in the world). As much as I'd like to go out for a drink, and also avoid the rain, this is my last night in Reykjavík. I'll try to swing by the popular drinking spots later that evening, but I'm going walkabout.

First stop is the harbour, where two interesting ships are moored.
IMG_0793

V/s Týr - flagship of the Icelandic Coast Guard



IMG_0792

Akademik Sergey Vavilov - Arctic/Antarctic tour boat



There are quite diverse architectures, all within walking distance.
F1010004

Alþingi (Parliament Building)



IMG_0795

Raðhús (City Hall)



F1010003

Raðhús up close



F1010002

Tjörn (Pond)



IMG_0796

A house



The city skyline is dominated by the church.
IMG_0800

Hallgrímskirkja



Nearby, is a statue donated by the US in 1930, on the 1000th anniversary of the Alþing.
IMG_0798

Leifr Eiricsson (sic)



I've made my way halfway across town by now. Might as well take a walk along the seashore.
IMG_0802

Sun-Craft (by Jón Gunnar Árnason)



I think this new building under construction has a geothermal heating system, similar to those being tested at Battery Park City in New York City.
IMG_0801

Geothermal apartments?



There is also a house where many distinguished heads of state and other guests have stayed. It is probably most famous as the site of a Reagan-Gorbachev summit meeting in 1986.
IMG_0804

Höfði House



I make my way back downtown along Laugavegur. There's nothing I'd like to buy, but I do look in at several of the drinking establishments, to see if Mary is around. Alas, she is not there.

Before I get on the shuttle bus back to the hotel, there is one last look at the founding father of Reykjavík.
F1000014

Ingólfur Arnarson

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home